Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Future at a Glance

Opportunity is a strange thing. Blink once, and a golden chance may be lost. There have been many such chances in my recent past. There have been times where I have been staring at the ceiling, waiting to fall down that dark rabbit hole we call sleep, wishing that I had seized opportunities that had the potential to be great. It was during one such sleepless night that I had an epiphany. If I were to take every event and treat it like it had the same importance as the one before it, there would be no regrets. My only question is this: where is the line? Where does something that might be trivial to one person become an important event to someone else? I think this is where the time-honored saying "to each his own" comes into play. Maybe this is just my inner existentialist coming out thinking that things are more complex than they really are. Maybe I just enjoy a roundabout way of thinking. Either way, I am now taking every chance that I can. So far I have only had positive experiences. Took a chance and reached for her hand in the dark? I found that she was already reaching for mine. Help negotiate a deal for Richman Grand Marketing? I find I have a knack for business and a fairly lucrative side job. Aristotle said, "All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion and desire." I've decided that this is definitely a great list of actions to add to my daily routine. I will continue to take chances, believe that nature has a way of helping things work out, be compelled to be great, form good habits, have excellent reasons for my actions, be passionate about everything I do, and desire to be a better man every day. Life is a funny thing. Who knows where I will end up tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment